Specific heat capacity
An investigation to determine the specific heat capacity of one or more materials.
1. Start off by using the beaker of water.
2. Record the initial temperature of the liquid you are testing.
3. Use the match stick to light the spirit lamp and start the stopwatch.
4. Record the temperature of the liquid every 5 s for 20 s. Record any observations.
5. Repeat steps 1-5 to obtain 4 readings for 5 s, 10 s, 15 s, 20 s and calculate an average to note the temperature increase of the water.
6. Repeat experiment for beaker of oil.
7. Plot each set of data with temperature on the y-axis and time on the x-axis.
8. Make a note of how the temperature varies with time.